Cosmetic surgery is not just for women. More men are opting for cosmetic procedures to help augment their appearance and defy aging than ever before.
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the number of cosmetic procedures performed among men has increased over 325% from 1997 to 2015
. Men underwent over 1.22 million procedures in 2016, accounting for nearly 1 in 10 procedures in the United States.
Why are men undergoing more cosmetic surgery? This shift can be attributed to the following reasons.
1. Competition in the job market
In a marketplace where looking fit, younger, and more masculine can help increase your chances of ascending the corporate ladder, more men are pursuing cosmetic surgery for job-related reasons. Cosmetic enhancements can help aging men compete with younger competitors in the corporate environment.
Men who are seeking cosmetic surgery as a tool for their careers commonly request the following procedures:
2. Look younger to attract a partner
- Liposuction to reduce excess abdominal fat or breast fat. In fact, the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery reports that liposuction and breast reduction were the top two surgical procedures for men in 2016.
- Blepharoplasty to remove bags under the eyes.
- Laser skin resurfacing to improve changes in the skin due to sun damage such as wrinkles or areas of skin discoloration.
- Hair restoration to restore volume or a receding hairline.
Men in the dating scene are increasingly pursuing cosmetic procedures in order to attract romantic partners. Whether they have just experienced a serious breakup, a divorce, or have been widowed, they may want a change to help them start over and compete with younger men. In addition, as couples delay marriage until later in life, men may be self-conscious of looking older in wedding photos and opt to have a cosmetic procedure to make them look and feel younger.
They may opt to undergo one of the following procedures:
3. Preserve naturally good looks
- Procedures that lift and tighten the face and neck.
- Liposuction and structural fat transfer.
- Procedures that make the eyes look younger and more expressive, such as:
Men with naturally attractive features may pursue cosmetic procedures in order to prevent and reverse the signs of aging, especially if they work in industries such as acting or modeling. Youthful appearances are crucial in these types of careers. National trends show a growing number of celebrities are opting for cosmetic surgeries in order to extend the length of their careers. This may be influencing consumers, models and actors at smaller agencies.
In these situations, very little intervention is required to restore the face.
They may consider the following procedures:
4. Insecurities about specific facial or physical features
We live in a visual society with a culture that idealizes beauty and perfection. Men who have insecurities about a specific facial or physical feature may choose to address the issue with cosmetic surgery to increase their confidence. The imperfection can be the result of an accident that requires reconstructive surgery or an abnormality that they were born with.
These procedures may include:
5. Encouragement from spouses and significant others
While the number of men pursuing cosmetic surgery is on the rise, women still account for nearly 9 in 10 procedures in the United States. However, most doctors have agreed that after men see the results of their significant other’s cosmetic procedure results, they may be more likely to give the procedure a try. Through their significant other’s experience, they understand the pre- and post-surgical process and better know what to expect. The procedures they may request can vary based on their unique needs and desired outcomes.
No matter what motivates men to undergo cosmetic surgery, the trend shows that the increase in men’s procedures is not slowing down anytime soon. If you are interested in learning more about our procedures, please call us at 610-828-8880.